Goodnight You Moonlight Ladies

Filed Under: Life

Cara went to sleep last night at 7:15 pm. She promptly woke up at 7:30 pm and we implemented our plan once she woke. She cried and fussed and flipped us the baby finger until 8:32 pm. Tucker and I took turns going in and reassuring her.

The first “wait” was three minutes. The second was five minutes and every other “wait” thereafter was ten minutes. It took a while, but it was easier on us since we had a schedule that we had to stick to. There was no going in and picking her up. Once we started, we knew that we couldn’t give in since we would just be undoing everything that we had done up to that point.
Tucker and I were really wiped out last night after we walked around the zoo from 9 am till 1 pm. We stumbled off to bed around 9 pm and I was fully expecting Cara to wake up right as I fell asleep. That’s what had always happened before. But, you know what? She didn’t wake up until 4 am.

4 am! Are you fucking joking me?! I was elated. My boobs were about to burst, but I didn’t care. The second she was awake, I was in there and had her firmly attached to my boob. She ate her fill and I put her back in her crib; I was completely assuming that she was going to wake up again and start back with the screaming. But she didn’t. She slept until about 8:30 am.

My child has NEVER slept like that. EVER. I can count on one hand the number of times since her birth that she has slept for longer than five hours at a stretch…three times.

So, right now she’s in her crib for a nap. As part of her new schedule, she gets breakfast at 9:30 am and then a morning nap at 10:30 am. I put her in there at 10:30 and have been back twice. The first time was five minutes for today and the second was ten minutes.

As I type, she’s no longer crying and I’m assuming that she’s asleep. But, if she’s not, at least she is having some scheduled quite time. If she wakes again before 11 am, then I will go in and comfort her and leave the room to let her fall asleep alone. BUT, if she wakes up after 11 am, then I’ll get her up from her nap and we’ll play and I’ll get her some lunch ready.

One thing that Dr. Ferber said about using the “wait” approach during naps is “if your child has not fallen asleep after half an hour, or if she is awake again and calling or crying vigorously after even a short period of sleep, end that nap time”.

That’s what I was expecting to have happen. I was expecting her to scream from 10:30 am till 11 am. I was expecting to go in there at 11 am and pick up a screaming ball of pissed off sweaty baby. But, she’s asleep.

Miracles do happen.

Continuation on earlier post…
I figured that her afternoon nap should be somewhere between 1 pm and 2 pm. She’s normally pretty tired by that time and once I started really thinking about it, she is normally asleep around the time that Tucker gets home from work which is around 3:30 or 4 pm.

She had her lunch around noon; lunch was two cubes of spinach, two celery sticks, some boob and some baby barley cereal with reduced sodium chicken stock. She played with the dogs and her toys and generally had a good ole time.

Around 1 pm, I noticed that her eyes were getting a bit red and her nose was getting kind of rosy (sure signs that she’s tired). I changed her diaper and took her into her room. I turned on her boom box with her hair dryer noise and we plopped down on the floor for a snack. She wasn’t super interested in the boob and yawned in my face. It was at that point that I decided that she would probably go down for a nap without too much fuss.

I was right. I put her in her crib, patted her stomach and told her that it was time for a nap. She never really got going as far as the crying goes and by the time I had taken the dogs out to pee, she was well on her way to being asleep. Her first “wait” for today is five minutes and I didn’t even have to go in this time.

Continuation on earlier post…

Well, it’s 6:58 pm.

I had planned on putting Cara to bed tonight at 8 pm.  Last night, I put her down at 7:30 pm and we had an hour’s worth of crying.  I figured that I had “set” her bed time too early so I would try and find a happy medium.  8 seemed like the perfect fit.  That didn’t happen.

Caroline was entirely too tired to make it till 8.  She had eaten dinner and she was falling down and was generally lethargic.  Her eyes were red and she was rubbing them…she was one sleepy little girl.

She’s been in her bed for three minutes so far and she’s asleep.  I tweaked her bedtime routine a bit by bringing her into the living room to dress her in her PJs and nurse her for the night.  I made sure that she was aware that I was putting her in her crib though.

I know that she was aware that she was being put in her crib by the fact that she let out several shrill screams as I lifted up the side of the crib.  Her “waits” for tonight are five minutes the first time, ten minutes the second time and twelve minutes for every subsequent wait.  Hopefully she will be out for the night.  BUT, I’m nervous that she’s in bed at 7 pm and that she might view this as a really late nap.

This is where we stand thus far.  Hopefully I won’t have to update this again tonight.

Continuation on a continuation on a continuation…

I typed too soon.  She’s been awake and crying since 7:38 pm.  I’ve gone in once and Tucker’s gone in once.  The next time I have to go in is at 8:02 pm.  I figure by the time I’m done typing and posting this, it will be time to pat her stomach and get hollered at.

Wish me luck.  I’ll give you the play-by-play tomorrow.  I know you’ll be waiting with bated breath.

Speak Your Mind