Quantcast

We’re Not Sure What To Do and the Kids are Driving Us Crazy!

Filed Under: Life
Share:
pulling out hair

Meredith_Farmer

The screaming and fit throwing started at 0600 with Ollie losing his shit because I dared to cut his peanut butter and jelly toast into four pieces instead of leaving it “big.”

Then his sister stumbled into the living room and she lost it for some other reason. Tucker intervened and turned a bit scary. He was all pissed off at the kids and I was pissed off at the kids and then some of the pissedoffedness–I made that up. Proud?–leaked out and we snapped at each other. In the end, it hardly seemed worth all the trouble.

You know I stay home with the kids. I do it to save us money and I also do it because I don’t want someone else to take care of my kids. I’m not being an ass to the parents who have their kids in daycare; this is just a personal choice Tucker and I made. However, this morning? Bring on the freakin’ daycare. And I’m not joking. Daycare? Why are you?!

If you haven’t already puzzled it out, we’re having a major problem with Cara. And since we’re having a major problem with Cara, we’re also having a major problem with Ollie since dude does everything his sister does.

NO animated gif“I’m not touching that dinner! It’s gross!” she’ll shriek. I’ll bet you money her brother will quickly pipe up with a similar statement. What sucks is I microwaved lovingly prepared broccoli, cheese and rice last night and the second Cara saw it, she refused to eat it; Ollie followed suit. Actually, that’s not the part that sucked. The part that sucked was all they had for dinner was grapes.

They made their choice and I was determined to not feel bad for them but a bit of guilt snuck in there. Did I give them something different? Nope. Did I feel like I had done my parental duty and taught my kids some sort of life changing lesson? Not even close.

Cara’s mood swings are epic, she blows on her hands now–which annoys the hell out of me–and she does this wrestling move thing were her brother will be on the floor and she jumps on him with her knees when she’s pissed off at him.

The many faces of Cara.

FYI, two of my greatest injury fears when it comes to the kids are internal bleeding and internal skull bleeding. You can’t see either of them and they’ll both kill you. When push comes to shove, I’ll take a cut off finger any day–though I’ll probably puke. Knees in the abdomen could cause internal bleeding. And that’s the obvious sentence of the day.

Ollie isn’t without blame in all of this. He has these EPIC come aparts where he rolls around the floor and screams–He knows he gets a spanking when he screams like that.–and does the annoying terrible twos shit. Cara, in all her annoying fits, never did the terrible twos thing. She’s always been opinionated and a bit rude but she generally could/can be reasoned with. Ollie? Not. So. Much.

At this point, the kids are watching Billy the Exterminator–Cara’s obsessed and I’m considering writing an email to Billy.–and if Ollie isn’t passed out in the floor, he’s damn close. The apartment is an absolute wreck. If Tucker brought someone home without notice, I would push them right back out.

I’m officially declaring Wednesday bankruptcy. I ordered pizza and I hope Tucker doesn’t read this while he’s at work since the pizza is supposed to be a surprise. I bought him beer, as well, because I got a payment in from AdSense. It’s amazing what a niche blog can do for the pocketbook. Thank you, Sims3Gamer.com.

We’re at a total loss as to what to do about the kids. We don’t think they have issues where they need to go talk with someone but we’re out of ideas.

The plan is to head to Barnes and Noble on Sunday and peruse the kid/parenting section with hopes of finding a magical book to help us with this very trying time in the wonders of parenting. This time is also known as parenting hell/please-save-us-we-don’t-know-what-the-hell-to-do!

Comments

1. thepsychobabble says:

I hate days like that. Especially when those days stretch into WEEKS like that.

2. TheAmyTucker says:

@thepsychobabble We are just done. Totally done. I mean, OBVIOUSLY, we’re not gonna leave our kids on a doorstep or anything but they’ve pushed both of us so damn far.

They fight all the time. They compete for our attention. They refuse to go to bed w/out fights. They hardly sleep and wake up at 6am no matter what time they go to sleep. Hell, Ollie ends up in our bed more times than not; he sneaks in at like 3am and I don’t give a shit at that time of the morning.

Blah. Thanks for letting me vent. ๐Ÿ˜€

3. Stacerella says:

My mother raised 7 alone. When she was pissed, she’d lower her voice and talk very close to our faces. It freaked us all out.

4. Stacerella says:

@TheAmyTucker @thepsychobabble Wow, there cowgirl. Parenting is about discipline and consistency. If you don’t want him in your bed, get up and take him back to his explaining he sleeps in his own bed, you sleep in yours. Do this enough times and he will see he’s not getting his way. He’s playing a classic power struggle game with you, and so far he’s winning.

5. TheAmyTucker says:

@Stacerella Shut you mouth. OK. Not really. And you know you’re not telling me anything I don’t already know but you still tell me and I feel like you spanked me…and not in a good way.

I shall file this away in my brain and examine it tomorrow morning at 3am.

6. ReallyBigPeach says:

@TheAmyTucker @thepsychobabble My M did that too. And I KNOW consistancy and crap, but at 3 am all I’m thinking is SLEEEEPPPPP!!!! I cannot parent at 3 am. Especially when said child didn’t go to bed until 1 am. Hell half the time I don’t even wake up. I broke her of the habit with a bribe. It worked. But she was 8. So yah. Not helpful. Just saying I feel you, and I’m RIGHT THERE WITH you. (but with a 9 year old, and no husband, so maybe it’s a little easier.)

7. TheAmyTucker says:

@Stacerella You’ll be happy to know I tossed Ollie’s ass in bed twice last nice.

8. RachelSpeal says:

Hi- love your blog. I actually found it when I searched for a video on kids refusing to sleep:).

I think that since you’re talking about problems all around with your kids’ behavior, the general patch and fix suggestions about going to sleep, getting rid of tantrums,etc. won’t work for you.

I’ve been where you are with my own difficult kids, and it’s not fun, to say the least. By the way, did you hear that the British are using babysitting as a way of discouraging teen pregnancy? That’s a no brainer: all they have to do is send someone to babysit a few kids who stayed up late the night before, refused to eat their dinner (and so are in the middle of a low blood sugar crash) and need to go to bed – like NOW.

Hah-that will separate the men from the mice.

Anyway, back to the advice: I would first suggest reading “The Spirited Child” by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. It will help you get a handle on your children’s personality, as well as understand why they’re so *&%! difficult. It sounds to me like your daughter has some sensitivities in certain areas, causing her to be stressed out big time (not your fault!)

Once you take care of recognizing what those are, accomodating her, and helping her to deal with it on her own, things will get a LOT better. Then you can work on the other stuff.

Good luck!

P.S.

I know this stuff works-been doing it for a while-but you just have to stick with it to see results. But you knew that already…

9. HeatherSolos says:

Oh man. I hate those days / weeks. We all have them. I hope things are a bit better and I’m sorry I wasn’t around to vent at.

10. TheAmyTucker says:

@RachelSpeal The irony of that first sentence was not lost on me and thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

You’re like the third person who has recommended The Spirited Child; I plan on heading to B&N while the kids are gone and checking it out.

The babysitting thing as a form of birthcontrol cracks me up. Wasn’t there a show a while back where teen couples who wanted a baby had to take care of a stunt baby–a read kid–for 24 hours and it was all videotaped?

Thanks for the advice and the great comment and come back again and stay a while. ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. TheAmyTucker says:

@HeatherSolos You were doing a kickass session at Type-A; you have nothing to be sorry about. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. thepsychobabble says:

@TheAmyTucker @RachelSpeal I think it was for longer. Like a week maybe? I’m not sure, but I secretly enjoyed watching it.