Quantcast

I’m a Community Leader At Blissdom and This Is Why You Should Tag Along with Me

Filed Under: Life
Share:
noob

Image | Jenny Lee Silver

So Blissdom is like a month or so away and I’m finally writing my post. Don’t judge. It’s been a hard week…or month…it’s been HARD!

ANYWAY!

I started my Blissdom Twitter list last night.

It took some doin’.

I may be TOO proud of myself but I feel I deserve the pride. This was my first list! Be proud of me!

So I’m one of the Blissdom Community Leaders and my “niche” is as a New Person person. I know there’s a technical/official term for the folks who should look me up but that’s eluding me at this present moment.

Basically, find me if you’ve never been to Blissdom and/or you’ve never been to a conference. I’ve been the “new girl” at a conference before. I know how it feels to think no one wants to talk with you. To feel like everyone’s giving you that look; you know the one I’m talking about.

I also know what it’s like to go to an ENORMOUS conference and be completely overwhelmed. The only difference between the little conferences and the big ones is you have more people to meet at the big ones. More people to get to interact with..more people to really get to know.

Cause that’s what conferences are about.

Here’s my video at E3 this year. I say “hands-on” way too many times but I was THERE and I met so many awesome folks.

E3 had +47k people. I managed to make it through without a mental breakdown. If I can do something like that, believe me when I say you can too!

Blissdom, for me, is a place I can go where I know folks and can feel “safe.” I know that sounds dumb, but it’s true. There are so many folks there who are right where you are. Chicks who are just starting out. Chicks who have been doing this blog thing for as long as I have. Chicks who you can learn from. Chicks who you can prop up when they need it.

Remember, even if you’re “new” you can make someone’s day just by saying, “Hi!” The little things are what really matter at a conference where everyone else is just as scared as you are. Promise.

So you’re wondering it you should follow me on Twitter and tag along at Blissdom?

A few things you should probably know about me:

• I have ADD. Like really. Shiny? That’s me. Don’t be surprised if I start a sentence and then come back to it 15 minutes later when you’ve completely forgotten the conversation. Just ask Heather Solos. She’ll vouch for me. Poor Heather.
  • I’m bouncy. Think Tigger. “The wonderful thing about Amys, is Amys are wonderful things.”
  • I drink. Alcohol. If that’s not cool with you, there are TONS of other awesome chicks to pair yourself with. I’m not saying that’s the only thing I do cause that’s just not true but I’m going to be imbibing at the social functions and I know that will turn some of you off.
  • My eyebrow is pierced. While this may seem like a minor detail, again, I get some of you aren’t cool with that.
  • I curse. Not all the time. Maybe not even part of the time but there are times when it just feels right and I do and you should know that.
  • I’m not cool with the cold shoulder and/or the “holier than thou” act. You get me with all my honesty and brashness. I DO possess the art of tact but there are times when things just get to me. I don’t like confrontation so it’s not like I’m going to go all “after school” on someone but that kind of behavior just gets my goat. I hope you’ll understand.
  • I’m a gamer and love just about everything pertaining to video games. If you have questions, I’m more than happy to answer them.
  • I also know quite a bit about web design and the geek side of things. Again, you have questions? I have answers. “Grabbing the code” might sound scary but it’s easy as pie.

If I haven’t scared you off by now, feel free to follow me on Twitter: TheAmyTucker. Twitter is how I keep up with most people and probably how I’ll keep up with you. Maybe I’ll even start my own hashtag? #NoobAmyTucker, anyone? heh I crack myself up.

I look forward to helping you navigate the many halls of the Opryland Hotel [Hint: It’s all about the carpet patterns.] and the many awesome sessions.

I can’t wait to meet y’all!

Comments

1. LkWhtMomFound says:

I’m a newbie too this year, maybe we can be pals 🙂 looking forward to meeting you next month

• @LkWhtMomFound Blissdom is a blast. It’s small enough for you to meet a lot of folks you want to meet but big enough to get lost if you need to get lost for a minute.

See you in a month!

2. HeatherSolos says:

She’s totally not lying about the ADD. I’m not usually a phone talker, but somehow she’s kept me up way late at night rambling. It almost becomes a game, “Can Amy find her original point?” so far it’s ADD 9000 Amy 3

3. IssaWaters says:

@TheAmyTucker My stretched earlobes want to hang out with your eyebrow piercing at Blissdom while we cuss up a storm!

4. allthingsfadra says:

I’m a CL for Newcomers too. But can we please hang out? I will drink alcohol with you anytime.

5. dutchbeingme says:

Okay – seriously – we are going to be buds! You might be the only person that will be able to follow my conversations that I abandon and then remember 15 minutes later. And, well, I’m jealous of your eyebrow. I always wanted to do it, but for some reason something holds me back.

Anyway – I just added you on Twitter, so be prepared for me to completely start stalking you. HA! 🙂

6. TheAmyTucker says:

@WellReadWife Thanks for the retweet! 🙂

7. So, we should probably avoid you and I attempting to hold a three-way conversation with anyone, because I have ADD too and know exactly what you mean! I actually have a form of ADHD where my mind is hyperactive, so it goes so fast that I seem to be changing subjects non-stop, but really my mind got there logically… you just didn’t keep up. So, with you going back to old conversations and me flying through topics, I’m sure the third person would just end up with a massive migraine. (BTW, I’m a Frugal Living Community Leader. Looking forward to meeting you!)

8. Looking forward to meeting you at Blissdom 🙂

9. ACK! You do that, too?! Have you ever had to break it down to someone as to how exactly you go to the point you were currently at? And they still gave you that, “Yeah…whatever…” look? I bet you’ve *never* been there. 😉

10. livelovework says:

I’m used to 40+K folks at Dragon*Con spread over 5 host hotels, so although I’m a BlissDom Newbie, this will be a piece of cake, right? Errr…….

I was just doing research on starting a Twitter list today, too. I have yet to make one. Maybe I’ll start one for BlissDom folks- so far I’ve just been following the #BlissDom tag.

Look forward to meeting you!

Chrysta

• @livelovework If you can handle DragonCon, you can handle anything. 🙂

• livelovework says:

@TheAmyTucker I am expecting fewer fangirls at #BlissDom over Dragon*Con, but all of us bloggers are nerdy at heart, aren’t we? I’ll probably fit in fine (despite being afraid I won’t. Hey, a tattooed, pierced, scooter-riding, free-spirited fangirl like me isn’t everyone’s cup of tea!)

11. gfunkified says:

Look how cute you are! You look about 14. 🙂 Can’t wait to meet you at Blissdom!

12. Lynda Schrader says:

Looking forward to meeting you at BlissDom. Other than the gamer thing, we could be related. (I would be your crazy aunt that everyone in the family shakes their head about).

13. Woot woot. I’m a newcomer and a local (a speaker, too), so not only have I followed you on Twitter but also committed your Avatar to memory 😉