Quantcast

What Is a Gamer?

Filed Under: Gaming
Share:

Guten Morgen, mein Freund!

I have a new job as a Senior Editor [Impressive, no?] at this new gaming awesomeness called Frontburnr; the site isn’t live yet but it will be very soon.

What I’m writing right now revolves around one question: what is a gamer?

Playing pink ps2 gif

I have my own ideas and they’ll be included in my piece–duh–but I’d also like to know what you think.

Tweet me (@TheAmyTucker), leave a comment on this post on the Taste Like Crazy Facebook page or you can leave a comment here.

Let me know about your idea of a gamer.

Positive and negative comments about gamers are welcome and/or how the term “gamer” is shifting. Example: Your Mom’s a Gamer.

I’ll link back to you on Frontburnr if I decide to use your thoughts. Just let me know where you’d like me to link, i.g., Twitter, Facebook or your own site.

Image | Mustafa Sayed

Comments

1. JaceFuse says:

@TheAmyTucker Some people waste time watching TV. Others play games. Some do both. Definitions are pointless.

2. hacscrap says:

LOL . . .a “gamer” . . .definitely not me – although I am a bit addicted to the iPad game Fleck. . .

Hillary

3. Justin Nixon says:

I tried to leave this earlier from my phone but it got deleted somehow… I will attempt to answer again. I think a gamer is anyone who has more than a passing interest in playing video games. If you had asked me this question 10 or even 5 years ago I would have pictured someone sitting behind a self-built, water-cooled super tower with a razer mouse & keyboard, and fatal1ty headphones playing CounterStrike Source or WoW. Now I think Aunt Gertrude is just as much a gamer as that guy I used to picture. It’s not CounterStrike or WoW or Civilization but she games. And a lot. Hell, even though it’s Zynga or PopCap games, she probably spends more time tending to her farm or cafe or playing Bejeweled every week than most “hardcore” gamers spend playing their games of choice. And, to be honest, I’m more of an Aunt Gertrude type player than a ‘hardcore” gamer myself now. I can’t remember the last time I turned on my PS3 when I wasn’t watching a movie and I still have unopened copies of Mass Effect 2 and BioShock 2 sitting beside my computer. But I spend a lot of time playing things on my iPhone like Game Dev Story, Flow, Tiny Wings, Beat Sneak, Plants vs Zombies, and Bumpy Road. I think the rise of mobile and online games have made us have to reconsider the way we think about gamers, just like computers and consoles changed things back when a gamer was somebody who played pencil and paper games like D&D. But gaming is more popular than ever so I don’t think it’s a bad thing.

4. Justin Nixon via Facebook says:

5. Jessica Cohen says:

A gamer is someone addicted to online gaming and offline gaming systems… I guess.

6. Where do you want me to link some of this to?

7. Where do you want me to link some of this to?

8. A gamer is an optimist.  A gamer is someone who is ready to take on new challenges, either solo or with a group, and try multiple ways of achieving those challenges just for the thrill of figuring it out.  A gamer is curious and likes to play with ideas, situations, and puzzles.  Gamers are not just people who play computer games, they also love board games, and role playing games and any avenue where their mind is free to wander and explore and solve problems.   These attributes of gamers are being used to solve real world problems today, e.g. Foldit.  Also, the power of gaming is being used to help people in their real lives, e.g. Super Better.  Gamers can be any age, walk of life, or race.  I’m a gamer.

9. Justin Nixon says:

I guess on twitter.

10. Justin Nixon via Facebook says:

I guess on twitter.

11. Will do. 🙂

12. Will do. 🙂

13. direflail says:

“Gamer” has become such a broad term that, alone, it fails to do justice to those who it encompasses. As a culture, we try to define ourselves by what kind of gamer we are, be it lovers of video games or tabletop games, or roleplaying games. Sometimes even further by declaring our devotion to particular brands, hardware platforms, or games. We even have people who play Angry Birds on their iPad three hours a day but don’t consider themselves “gamers”.

In my mind, these delineations obscure the reality. Gamers are just like everybody else. We’ve gravitated toward something that makes us feel good somehow, whether it was the achievement from beating a tough game bolstering the self-esteem of one who had little, or the camaraderie from teaming up with your friends every week through the trials of a D&D campaign.

We’ve managed to use our minds and games to get what we need without the need for much physical prowess, and we’re proud of it. I think we label ourselves as “gamers” because, in many cases, we haven’t been able to do this until the last few decades (at least, to this extent). Those who would look down on us and think we should be spending our time on something “useful” are not so different — they have the same needs we do, they just try to meet them another way.

In the end, it doesn’t really matter. We’re all the same anyway. I just prefer to be the same while riding a dragon.

14. direflail says:

@TheAmyTucker I have attempted to prove my worth. Please spare my life, so that I may yet see another sunrise.